Using an Independent Insurance Agent Versus a Direct Insurance Company
What is the difference between buying personal insurance through a Direct Insurance Company and an Independent Insurance Agent?
The Morse Insurance Agency, of course, wants you to understand that you have options when it comes to finding and buying home, condo, renters, or car insurance. Below is a summary of the two primary avenues you can use to purchase your personal insurance solutions. We hope the following information helps you select the insurance partner that is the right fit for you.
What is a Direct Insurance Company?
Direct insurance companies are generally large, national firms that offer quotes on their insurance products mainly through their website or an app. With a direct insurance company, or direct writer as they’re also called, customers can typically purchase and manage their policies online, as well. It’s probably obvious from the name that, as a customer of a direct insurance company, you will always need to contact them directly if you have an insurance need.
With no liaison between you and the direct writer, there are very few people involved in the insurance process. If you prefer, you can probably bypass human interaction entirely for most transactions. However, when you do need to speak with a “live” someone, you can typically choose online chat or call the company’s 1-800 number to talk to an employee or sub-contractor. Be forewarned, though, that it’s highly unlikely you’ll ever speak to the same person twice. Finally, with a direct writer, you have one option for placing your insurance business—with that company.
What is an Independent Insurance Agent?
Independent agents are local insurance professionals who work in your area. In fact, you probably pass by an independent insurance agent’s office in your community every single day. In general, this makes independent insurance agents very accessible to their clients—you can typically stop by their location(s), call or email a member of their team, or contact them through their website. Not to mention chat with them at your kids’ little league games and network at town chamber meetings.
In addition, these local businesses are often family-owned and operated and probably have been serving the insurance needs of individuals, families, and business owners in your community for decades. Another common and important attribute of an independent insurance agent is that they don’t work for an insurance company. Instead, they work for you, the client, and partner with several insurance companies to provide a wide range of coverage options at a variety of price points.
When you work with an independent insurance agent, they take the time to assess your specific coverage requirements, asking you questions about your family, home, vehicles, personal belongings, and more. Then, based on this knowledge, they search their carrier partners for the insurance options that best meet your needs and budget. Working with an independent insurance agent is like having your own personal shopper.
Should you work with a Direct Insurance Company or an Independent Insurance Agent?
A direct insurance writer might be a good choice if:
- You don’t require help understanding your insurance needs, and the policy options, endorsements, credits, and more.
- You’re the DIY-type and enjoy spending time doing research on multiple insurance companies and sifting through numerous quotes and coverages to figure out the best one for you.
- You like interacting mainly with technology, rather than a person, for everything from purchasing coverage to bill payment and filing a claim.
- You are comfortable acting as your own insurance advocate, especially when things go wrong like when you have to file a claim or have a payment issue.
An independent insurance agent might be a good choice if:
- You desire a knowledgeable partner to help you stay on top of your insurance coverage requirements in the short-term and throughout the changes that may occur over your lifetime, such as buying a second home, adding a teen driver to your car policy, or adopting a dog.
- You want a one-stop shop for all your insurance needs, personal and business, including car, home, condo, renters, umbrella, flood, high value home, boat, motorcycle, recreational vehicle, personal cyber, and pet insurance.
- You like knowing that your insurance professional is right around the corner from you whenever you need assistance, and that they are extremely familiar with the benefits and challenges of having a home, driving a car, and raising a family in Southeastern, MA.
- You want to have someone who’s on your side when you have a billing dispute, claim concern, or other issue, and who will work with your insurance company on your behalf to resolve any problems quickly and fairly.
While purchasing your insurance from a direct writer could appear to offer buyers like you the independence and convenience you desire, the insurance process can be complex. When you go it alone, you could end up underinsured or, just as bad, with too much coverage. If you would prefer to have the advice of a local professional who understands the risks of living and driving in Southeastern, MA, then you should consider partnering with an independent insurance agent to make sure that the insurance you purchase offers you the exact right amount of coverage for the price you can afford.
Morse, of course, is the knowledgeable independent insurance agent right in your own backyard.
If you live or work in the communities in and around North Easton, Bridgewater, Marion, or Norton, Massachusetts, then the neighborhood insurance agent you pass by every day is Morse Insurance.
Over 70 years ago, David R. Morse started our local agency, and it is now run by his sons Dan, Tim, and Brian Morse. Today, Morse is one of the leading independent insurance agents in Southeastern Massachusetts and along the South Coast of MA with four convenient locations. We also have developed strong relationships with more than 20 top insurance carriers, which enables us to offer our clients a wide variety of superior, reliable, and affordable insurance options.
Most importantly, as the local insurance team, we’re always here for you with friendly and skilled customer service. The team at Morse invites you to experience the independent insurance agent difference by calling us at 508-238-0056 today.